Echinacea, Osha, and
Asparagus I mean Astragalus..?
Have you ever heard of these plants?
These are just a few herbs that can help build up your immune system
this winter and fight off any cold and flu symptoms.
What are they?
- Echinacea (Echinacea Angustifolia)
As the top selling herb in the United States, Echinacea has proven to treat the minor cold or infection better than anything. Taken by capsule, as a liquid extract or consumed as a tea Echinacea has the ability to fight bacterial and fungal infections, ward off viruses and boost the immune system. This herb was originally introduced to European settlers by Native Americans in the Great Plains. It was utilized in many different ways, i.e. to treat skin wounds such as snakebites and ease toothaches and sore throats.
- Osha (Ligusticum Porteri)
Also used by Native Americans, Osha is taken to treat upper respiratory infections and build a stronger immune system. Taken regularly, this herb can fight off viral infections easier and protect the body from harmful cold or flu.
- Astragalus (Astragalus Membranaceous)
This herb has been used in China for centuries to treat an array of ailments such as diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Through medical studies, Astragalus has shown to enhance the boys natural ability to fight disease by activating the immune system. Continual use can prevent cancer cells from spreading and has the potential to restore the body from radiation and chemotherapy.
A few other herbal saviours:
- Gingko Biloba – Improves heart & brain function / Drastically increases circulation & mental clarity
- Oil of Oregano – Powerful Anti-viral, bacterial & fungal properties / Improves respiratory function / Fights parasitic contagions
- Ginseng – Helps cure cold & infections / prevents heart disease
- Ashwagandha – Strengthens and builds immune system to fight cold & flu contagions
- Goldenseal – Releives cold & flu symptoms / Anti-inflammatory that
oothes mucus membranes / Aids idegestion and constipation
- Mullein -Soothes irritation from dry coughs & bronchitis / Clears congestion /
- Relieves chest pain from colds & stomach cramps from the flu
- Turmeric Root – Highly anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic / stimulates brain & heart function / full of antioxidants & cancer fighting properties
- Ginger Root – Anti-inflammatory / High in antioxidants / Relieves nausea
All of these can be consumed through liquid extract or in capsule form. Another way that is quite pleasant is to steep the herbs or roots in hot water to drink as a tea. No matter how you choose to, supplementing these plants into your diet will not only improve your state of living but can change your life!